Want to sue H&R Block in small claims court?

Your Guide to Sue HR Block in Small Claims Court

Your H&R Block contract probably says you can’t sue H&R Block in any court except Small Claims Court, thanks to an arbitration clause. It can be complicated and time consuming, but you have another legal option to hold H&R Block accountable.


Do you have a qualifying claim for small claims court?

Ready to sue H&R Block in small claims court? Small claims courts are only for certain types of claims, so your first step is to make sure your claim can be filed. There are two things you need to pay attention to:

  1. The amount of money: Small claims courts have set amounts for how much money you can ask for from the other party, in this case, H&R Block. Most have a maximum dollar size for the claim you can bring. In most states it’s $5000 or $10,000, but some can be as low as $2,500. You can find a list of all 50 states’ monetary limits here.
  2. The type of relief: There are two types of awards you can ask for. The award is what the other party gives if you win. When you sue H&R Block in small claims court, you can only ask for one of those two: monetary (a dollar value payment).

If your claim doesn’t fall within the limits of your state’s small claims court, you’ll have to arbitrate your claim instead.


Send H&R Block your demand letter.

Before you can sue H&R Block, most small claims courts require that you ask the person you’re suing (the “defendant”) to fix your problem voluntarily before you file your claim. So if you want to sue H&R Block in small claims court, you need to send them a demand letter first.

This letter is a simple thing, stating the basics like who you are, what your issue is with the company, and what you want them to do to fix it. The whole letter can be a few sentences – remember that you are just checking a box before you file your actual claim.

When you’re done writing, you need to mail a hard copy of the letter, preferably as certified mail or some other service that allows you to confirm delivery, to their legal address. H&R Block is legally based in Delaware and receives mail at this address :

H&R Block, Inc.
CT Corporation System
120 South Central Ave
Clayton, MO 63105

If you would like examples of demand letters or more information about how to write them, you can find an excellent guide here.


Fill out court forms.

In order to sue H&R Block in small claims court, you’re going to need to fill out some paper work.

Each state has a set of forms that need to be filled out to file a claim, and sometimes counties will provide additional forms. The correct forms for your location will be available for free on your state court’s website.

Make sure you fill out enough forms because most states require you to file 3 or 4 copies of the forms by mail or in-person. Not enough copies? No claim accepted today.


File your claim with the court officially.

With filled out forms in hand, now you have to go to the court and undergo the “filing” process, which can be a bit complicated.

Many courts will require you to physically come to the courthouse during specific hours and days to hand-deliver the forms to the court’s clerk. But if you are lucky, your court might allow you to file by mail, fax or (for a few courts) online.

All courts will require you to pay a filing fee before they allow your to sue H&R Block in small claims. The amount will also be published on your court’s website, and in some cases, can be waved if you are a low income plaintiff.

When you file your forms, the court clerk will provide you with a stamped copy of the forms and a court date. Keep it safe and bring it with you on the day of your hearing.


“Serve” your forms to H&R Block.

Suing H&R Block in small claims is a long and tough process, but it is only just beginning.

After you’ve filled out, filed, and paid, you have to officially tell H&R Block that it’s been sued. This is a called “serving” H&R Block. To do this, you need to deliver a copy of your filed papers to H&R Block.

Look at your court’s website for instructions on how to properly deliver your forms to H&R Block, or search for “[your state] small claims service of process”. Courts have many strange rules about how to serve a defendant, and your claim will be dropped if you do not follow them perfectly. So be careful!


Show up for your court date.

At the time of filing, you will receive a court date and location. Go to the right room, at the right time, with the copies of your filed forms, and any other evidence that backs up your case against H&R Block.

Sometimes, H&R Block will not show up to oppose you. If that happens, take advantage of the situation to focus on your side of the story.

Ready to sue H&R Block in small claims court?
If this sounds too hard and expensive, try consumer arbitration instead…

What's your complaint?

Best of the Best. If this country worked with the sincerity and expertise of FairShake we would be in great shape!

Stocksy_txpd2fb379aCMc200_Medium_1013152 Allie, real FairShake customer

They got more done in a few weeks than I did in over two years.

jonas-kakaroto-KIPqvvTOC1s-unsplash John, real FairShake customer

I can’t say enough good about this company! They are really a light for us in a very hard time.

Mark Mark, real FairShake customer

Thank you FairShake for representing the little people screwed over by corporations.

Stocksy_txpd2fb379aCMc200_Medium_1016567 Amanda, real FairShake customer

I was having problems with the company for months. That you could make it resolved in a few days is wonderful.

eye-for-ebony-nOHn3pIyPaw-unsplash Marisol, real FairShake customer

It's not right what Big Business can get away with if we let them. People need to know someone is out there to help!

Stocksy_txpd2fb379aCMc200_Medium_670432 Virgil, real FairShake customer

FairShake helps put the power and money back in your hands

Take Action