How to Sue Protect America

Make your voice heard and make them pay: These are your options

We’ve all had issues with large companies now and again. Maybe they used misleading sales tactics to get you to sign up. Perhaps they overcharged you for a service that you didn’t want or tried to cancel. Maybe there was just an accounting error, but either way they’re not fixing the problem and it costs you money. Now you’re wondering how to sue Protect America. We can help.

Protect America Customer Service

If you have an account problem, they have a few ways to contact them and lodge the complaint. You can call customer service at 1 (800) 951-5111. You can also visit the help page and use the live chat feature. There are links on their site for social media sites as well, but it is recommended that you log in to your account before trying to reach out to customer service, as they will expedite the service you receive. 

But this doesn’t mean the issue gets solved. Sometimes the company will charge you or continue to move forward with your account settings before the problem is fixed, even if the problem wasn’t your fault. 

There are plenty of times where the person with whom you speak simply doesn’t have the authority to credit your account or make the change and then the phone call is ended. You frantically try to get through to someone who has that authority but really you’re very likely being sent with a voice system to customer service representatives who are working from home in different states and have no authority no matter who you contact.

But you aren’t going to give up. So what are your options now?

Now you go to small claims court.

Arbitration Clauses

Your contract with Protect America likely has language that says you can’t sue them in most cases, for example, you can’t join or start a class action lawsuit. This is quite common for large companies and is not necessarily a bad thing. You still have options, which include going to small claims court or using consumer arbitration. 

Does your case qualify for small claims court?

Before you head off to small claims court full of gumption and an eagerness to sue, you have to make sure your case qualifies. There are two things you need to be aware of.

The first is that every state has minimum and maximum amounts for qualifying cases. In Kentucky and Rhode Island for example that can be as low as $2,500 for the maximum dollar size you can bring but another state that’s usually $5,000 or $10,000.

The second is the type of compensation you want. If you want the company to give you a new piece of equipment, something physical, that would be considered an equitable form of compensation and that’s not something a small claims court can do. What they can do however is monetary compensation, a dollar amount, possibly the equivalent dollar amount of the equipment you want.

How to Sue Protect America in Small Claims Court

If your claim doesn’t fall within those limits you’ll have to use arbitration. But if it does, here are the next steps to follow:

  1. Send a demand letter. In this letter you officially notify the company that you are going to sue them but you asked them to fix the problem voluntarily first. This demand letter is very straightforward. It can include information such as your name, your phone number, your address, your account number, what the problem is, and what you want from them. It doesn’t have to be more than a few sentences. It’s just vital that you send the demand letter first in order for your case to qualify. Once you’re done writing, send a hard copy of the letter to the official address:

Protect America Corporate Headquarters

3800 Quick Hill Road, Building 1-100

Austin, TX 78728*

*Note: The address you should use will be listed in your individual agreement.

But what do you do if they don’t respond to the demand letter or if they don’t give a good enough response?

  1. Fill out court forms. In order to sue you have to fill out the right court forms. Every state court website will tell you what forms to use for your state and for your county. Make sure you fill out enough forms. Most states require you to file in person with three or four copies and if you don’t have the right number, they won’t accept your claim.
  2. File your complaint with the court. The official process of filing can be a bit tricky. Many courts require that you show up to a specific courthouse during specific hours in person to hand-deliver to the county clerk. If you are very lucky your court might allow you to send it by mail or by fax. All courts require you to pay a small claims court filing fee the amount for which should be published on your court website. When you file the forms, the county clerk will look it over, make sure you have enough copies, stamp the copies, and give you a court date.
  3. Serve your forms. You have to officially serve the company which is basically a legal term that says you tell them they are being sued. For this you need to deliver a copy of the filed papers to the company, and this is why you needed to have so many copies. Look at your court website for instructions on how to properly serve the company. Courts have many specific and sometimes strange rules about how to do this and if you don’t do it the right way, they will drop your claim.
  4. Show up for your court date. The date that was given to you by the county clerk is your court date and you have to be at the right courthouse at the right time with all the documentation to explain your side.

Consumer arbitration 

If that seems a bit too complicated or your case doesn’t qualify, consumer arbitration is your alternative. It functions very similarly in terms of the steps but it’s a more convenient process and we can help.

Steps to File a Claim Against Protect America with Consumer Arbitration 

  • Submit your complaint to the company. This is a legal, official notice that tells them what the issue is, what you’ve done, and how you want them to fix it. To make it easier, you can tell us all of that with our online interface. We generate the documents for you and send them on your behalf.
  • We create the hard-copy demand letter that explains the right information and also has a timeline. If the company doesn’t offer a settlement or fix the problem by a given timeline, you will pursue consumer arbitration. In many situations companies choose to settle at this point because it won’t cost them as much and in some cases they were simply oblivious to the issue but now it’s reached their attention and now they’re willing to do something.

If they aren’t though…

  • File your documents with the American Arbitration Association. We file on your behalf with a “documents only” arbitration process so you don’t have to leave your home.
  • A case administrator will be appointed who will collect information, look at both sides, arrange meetings and so on. An arbitrator will then be appointed who will set a hearing the same as a judge and a court hearing but for this we can arrange a document only process again to make it much easier on you.

Learn more about arbitration here.

What's your complaint?

Best of the Best. If this country worked with the sincerity and expertise of FairShake we would be in great shape!

Stocksy_txpd2fb379aCMc200_Medium_1013152 Allie, real FairShake customer

They got more done in a few weeks than I did in over two years.

jonas-kakaroto-KIPqvvTOC1s-unsplash John, real FairShake customer

I can’t say enough good about this company! They are really a light for us in a very hard time.

Mark Mark, real FairShake customer

Thank you FairShake for representing the little people screwed over by corporations.

Stocksy_txpd2fb379aCMc200_Medium_1016567 Amanda, real FairShake customer

I was having problems with the company for months. That you could make it resolved in a few days is wonderful.

eye-for-ebony-nOHn3pIyPaw-unsplash Marisol, real FairShake customer

It's not right what Big Business can get away with if we let them. People need to know someone is out there to help!

Stocksy_txpd2fb379aCMc200_Medium_670432 Virgil, real FairShake customer

FairShake helps put the power and money back in your hands

Take Action